The Town of Bow Mar
As the Denver-area grew in the late 19th century, the area that is now known as Bow Mar was developed as an agricultural area. It was home to several large farms that provided for both Denver and nearby Littleton. The name Bow Mar is derived from combining the names of two nearby lakes, Bowles Lake and Marston Lake. The lakes were named for two pioneering farmers in the area, Joseph Bowles and John Marston.
As Denver grew in the post-World War II era, Bow Mar farmland was purchased to develop the area into single-family housing. Established in 1947 by Lloyd and Eleanor King (founder of King Soopers), Bow Mar began life as a typical subdivision with many atypical features. The neighborhood was largely built up by the end of the 1950s.
Bow Mar was incorporated as a town in 1958, one that straddles both Arapahoe and Jefferson counties. When built, many homes in Bow Mar reflected Frank Lloyd Wright's prairie-style architecture. Homes were constructed upon acre lots and were placed on wide streets, and were limited to being no more than one story tall.
Membership in Bow Mar Owners, Inc. is limited to those who own property or reside in the Town of Bow Mar
Click below to view: